Thursday, May 22, 2008

Summer Camping!

Summer finally seems to be showing its face! I am definitely a person who experiences the winter blues, so I have been anxiously awaiting the warm weather. As a reward for surviving the very VERY long winter, we decided to drive down to Little Sahara for our first camping trip of the summer. We had SO much fun, but I'm frankly surprised that we were still conscious by the time we arrived at our campsite because Jeremy turned the car into a deadly gas chamber.

It has clearly been way too long since our last camping trip because we forgot to bring a few vital pieces of equipment, including flashlights, firewood, an air pump for our air mattresses, and condiments for our hot dogs. Dry hot dogs (or turkey dogs in my case) are not as appealing as they sound, and going to the bathroom with nothing but the light from my phone to guide me was far from enjoyable. However, we are all resourceful people and we came up with some impressive solutions. Easton and Jeremy rounded up some tree branches on the four-wheelers, I enticed some intoxicated neighbors into letting us borrow their air pump, and Jeremy convinced another fellow camper to fill up a ziploc bag with ketchup. We still had to use the potty via phonelight though.

Camping 01

The four-wheelers were definitely the best part of our trip, although I was a little nervous about driving by myself on the sand dunes. The sand was deep and slippery which made it a little difficult to maneuver the ATVs.

Camping 02

Easton fancies himself an expert four-wheeler and was proud to pose with his machine.Camping 03

Kristen couldn't handle TR's crazy driving and decided to abandon ship before he killed them both...Camping 04

...which was a very smart choice, because I managed to roll this bad boy down an embankment.Camping 05

Fortunately the four-wheeler and I both came out in one piece. For a little while I was kinda embarrassed about being the only one to cause trouble with the four-wheelers, but this sentiment didn't last long because my little blunder was FAR from the worst thing that happened. We headed back to camp...the next group took off on the four-wheelers...

...and Ben got stuck in a tree.Camping 06

To top everything off, Jeremy slammed his chin into the handlebars of his ATV and we had to cut our trip short to take him to the emergency room.Camping 07

What a RAD camping trip! Can't wait to do it again soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like when you go camping, you really go camping. I'm not a big fan of ATV, too many people have gotten squashed here in the Blue Ridge Mountains on those things. Still, that didn't keep me from buying my son a dirt bike before he went off to school in Canada. Glad you made it through the winter.

Jessica Snyder said...

Blythe: sounds like so much fun! You got some good stories and memories out of it, so it must have been worth it! We are headed on our first camping trip this weekend too- but I think we might be a little chilly! I'm jealous of your warm weather!
Have a great memorial day weekend,
Jessica

ChelMo said...

Ha! I can totally relate to the phone light thing. A friend and I took a 10 day, cross-country road trip about 5 years ago. We camped the entire way, but forgot flashlights as well! I suppose we could've easily purchased one, but where's the adventure in that?? The eerie blue glow is definitely the way to go. Glad you had fun and that nobody got killed!

crazy4danes said...

Sounds like a blast! :D Glad you got to get out and have some fun!!! Can't wait to see what other adventures you go on this summer... :P

Holly said...

That picture of the ATV in the tree is hilarious! Had me laughing!!! And...glad you're ok! How scary that you rolled that beast of a toy! Sounds like a memorable trip.

A said...

How fun. I can imagine winters are extra tough on you Californians. I remember many a visit where you guys wore coats and we sported shorts!

Matt & Brooke said...

Peeing by the light of your phone! Sounds like some good times:) So fun to see you in Utah. You must call me when you're in town and we can do lunch with no kids :)

Kristen said...

That was so much fun! We need to plan another trip asap!

Shelby, Korri & Co. said...

FUN! that makes me really miss Utah. I used to go out there all the time on my dirt bikes. I had a friend break his leg in half...I'm glad you all made it out in one piece.

the buff and stuff said...

camping? i didn't know you were the camping kind of girl. learn something new everyday. sounds like you had a lot of fun. we miss you too!