Friday, April 4, 2008

Science Experiment

Try to imagine a scenario where a few silly boys decide to make hydrogen in their backyard. Let's say that these boys buy some industrial drain cleaner, a few plastic tubes, a Sobe bottle and a peanut butter jar...and then attempt to surpass Mr. Wizard with their impressive science skills. Now imagine that the aforementioned silly boys go by the names Easton, Ty, and Brad.

Easton was the one who actually started the madness, and he insisted on dragging me to Lowe's to pick up the supplies he needed for his science project. For those of you who know Easton, you won't be surprised by another one of his attempts to blow himself up. He gets a big kick out of putting himself directly in the path of oncoming danger. I wasn't too keen on the idea of homemade hydrogen, but Easton managed to brainwash Ty and Brad into thinking it was a good idea and I was quickly outnumbered.

Hydrogen 02

The boys drilled holes in the tops of a few bottles to create the reactor container and scrubbers, hooked up the tubes, and attached a plastic trash bag to (hopefully) fill up with hydrogen. Easton cut up a Cafe Rio aluminum tin to put in the Sobe bottle, and we all watched him add the Drano to kick off the chemical reaction. I hid behind the barbecue for safety while I yelled at Easton to get away from the bubbling, vibrating Sobe bottle.

Hydrogen 01

After a couple of setbacks involving a cracked reactor bottle and insufficient Drano, the boys finally figured everything out and managed to fill up a trash bag with hydrogen! Sometimes I think Easton's too clever for his own good.

Don't they look so proud of themselves?Hydrogen 04

Of course the boys needed to prove their maturity (or lack thereof) by using a flaming sock on the end of a plastic samurai sword to light the floating hydrogen bag on fire. Everybody laughed and cheered and toasted Easton's success...but I think the crowd was ultimately more interested in the big blazing sock than the melted bag of hydrogen.

And although I don't really approve of Easton's tendency towards hazardous projects, I must reluctantly admit that the hydrogen experiment was pretty fun. Who wouldn't get a kick out of seeing a bunch of fully-grown men sprinting around the corner of the house for cover from a deadly and dangerous Sobe bottle?

Hydrogen 03

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha. very wall said babes. we ARE 'the next generation'.

Holly said...

What crazy guys! I would be hiding too! Sounds like you had a fun night:)

Kristen said...

Shut up!!!! Where was I and why didn't you call me!!!

crazy4danes said...

Fantastic! I love these guys and I don't even know them!!! :D I love crazy experiments...nothing wrong with a little creative genius! ;P

Matt & Brooke said...

Blythe I had no idea you already had kids to take care of :)...i'm having flashbacks of Nathan in High School. You've got your hands full...but sounds pretty fun too!

Darren, Tisha, Tanner & Tennyson said...

Blythe- That is HILARIOUS that I posted you two as married! I am so sorry!!! It has been way to long, obviously!! Thanks for clearing it up!
-Tish