Monday, February 16, 2009

Walking on Water

Easton and I spent a day in Park City for Valentine’s Day and we had so much fun! Our day was frivolous and playful and full of silliness. We shopped, ate an amazing dinner, played in the snow, and consumed a multitude of chocolate-covered fruit. I loved it!

As many of you know, I am NOT a fan of snowy weather…but Park City is just so gorgeous when it is covered with snow! I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face (although my smile may have been a little distorted by the chattering of my teeth).

Valentine's Day 01

As we passed Deer Creek Reservoir on the way home, I noticed several people ice fishing and commented on the fact that I haven’t ever stepped foot on a frozen body of water. Easton immediately pulled the car over and suggested that I broaden my horizons by trying something new.

As we approached the edge of the lake, I quickly noticed that the ice did NOT look exceptionally thick and I began to question our endeavor. Easton told me that he knew what he was doing and I needed to trust him, after which he confidently walked towards the lake. When he stepped onto the ice I heard little crackling noises and I could see bubbles shifting under his weight. Does that sound stable to you? No way! So I promptly began skirting the perimeter of the lake to find a sturdier entry point.

I soon came to an area that looked fairly solid and tapped the edge with my foot to test its firmness. The ice felt pretty secure and, satisfied with my assessment, I took a step forward…and my foot plunged into knee-deep frigid water! I screamed and stumbled backwards, and Easton just roared with laughter and yelled, “See, you should have trusted me!”

Valentine's Day02

Despite the fact that my foot was frozen and weighed nearly a hundred pounds, I allowed Easton to help me onto the ice and we played around on the surface of the reservoir for a while.

Valentine's Day 03 Valentine's Day 04

Even though my lower extremity was on the verge of frostbite, I was totally overwhelmed by the beauty of the landscape. The snow was pure white and the mountains looked like they were straight out of a painting.

Valentine's Day 05

When it was time to leave, I begrudgingly walked behind Easton so that he could use his keen abilities to guide us safely to solid ground. As we neared the edge of the lake, Easton told me that he would go first and I should follow by stepping into his footprints. He dauntlessly walked forward…and managed to take a few steps before both feet suddenly plummeted through the ice! He gasped and did the most hilarious little dance while skipping the rest of the way to the edge. I pretty much died with laughter and cursed the fact that I hadn’t videotaped his little exhibition!

Valentine's Day 06

Moral of the story: Next time you’re participating in a potentially dangerous activity and a guy tells you that there’s nothing to worry about and you should just trust him…you might want to think twice!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

HILARIOUS!! I can just picture him laughing at you then plunging his own self into the water! You guys are a riot!!! :)

Courtney said...

HA HA!! Oh, I soooooo wish that you'd had a video camera to document Easton's moment. Sounds like a totally cool (no pun intended) experience, though - I didn't even know that Deer Creek froze over that much in the winter!!

Unknown said...

well... i must say that i ended up eating my words in the end, but as you know, I LOVE an adventure and trying new things. You were defiantly a good sport and a trooper, even with a boot full of freezing water. You planned such an amazing Valentines Day for us to enjoy together and in turn gave me the best Valentine's experience ever!

Sam and James said...

Love the photos. Looks like fun. I'm still up getting things ready for Charli's Birthday party, thought I'd say hi. Wish you were here, at least you would have warm feet.

Sam and James said...

Hi again, have put up some of the party photos. The party was excellent, I'm still trying to catch up on some much needed sleep. Check out the new pics.

A said...

You're a much better sport than me- I hate the cold and probably would have sat down and cried once I fell through. And, I wasn't wrong afterall, there is something different about your pictures. Did you do something different?

Kristen said...

this post made my day! i'm still laughing!